FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Monday afternoon Little Rock Lane in Fort Worth was quiet. Parents say usually kids voices and playful screams fill the streets, even on a rainy day.
On this day the kids stayed in their homes because of what happened Sunday afternoon in the East Fort Worth neighborhood.
“‘He said sit down! Sit down’,” says Jermond Hobson ,9, “He started saying curse words at us then he said it’s not going to be pretty when I shoot y’all.”
Hobson says Ken Flowers came rushing out of his house with a BB gun and started shooting.
“We were running away from him because he had a BB gun in his hand,” explains Hobson.
Hobson says he was terrified. He wasn’t hurt, but he says two of his friends were.
His mother, Toni Hobson says Flowers was upset because he thought the kids broke one of the lights in his yard.
“It’s very sad and shocking that someone would go that far; that extent with children,” says Toni Hobson.
She says she was also shocked when she learned the suspect is a veteran Fort Worth firefighter. He’s been with the department for more than 30 years.
“He’s not that type of person. He wouldn’t shoot at no kids,” says Glenda Flowers Farrow. “This is a firefighter that takes care of us and he’s not that type of person at all — no.”
His neighbors who have known him for decades say they don’t believe it either.
“He wouldn’t hurt a child I don’t think and I don’t believe he shot them with a BB gun I don’t believe that,” says Vernon Maxwell “One of the best person I’ve ever known.”
Flowers has been charged with injury to a child.
The Fort Worth Fire Department said Flowers has been placed on administrative leave until the investigation is complete.
A spokesperson with the department released the following statement:
“The Fire Department will also monitor the Police Department’s investigation. Because this is an active investigation, the Fire Department will make no further comments at this time.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Some Keller ISD School Bus Drivers Say Vehicles Aren’t Safe
- Added Security At North Texas Concert After Manchester Attack
- Dallas Residents Pack Town Hall To Talk About $800M Bond
- Horschel’s Wife Opens Up On Battle With Alcoholism
- Trailer Stolen From Keller Dance Studio
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures