DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Amid all of the controversy surrounding the troubled roll-out of the Affordable Care Act, President Obama will meet Wednesday with North Texas volunteers to thank them for helping to spread the word about the healthcare reform law.
Volunteer Harry Davis says he’s excited. “To be recognized by the federal government and the President is really overwhelming to us.”
Davis is one of 90,000 members of Dallas Area Interfaith, a group of diverse institutions made up of all religions and races.
Davis helped put together a booklet about the law. “We felt and saw the need being so great here, that we felt it was so important to act and get the word out.”
Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins says the DFW metropolitan area has the most uninsured people in the nation.
Jenkins helped coordinate the President’s meeting with volunteers. “We’ve got the most comprehensive group in the whole country of community, hospital, business and faith leaders that are working to reach out to the 30 percent of Dallas County residents who don’t have insurance.”
In conservative Texas, the President’s Healthcare reform law has been sharply criticized from the beginning.
Governor Rick Perry and the Legislature aren’t expanding Medicaid, the health program for the poor.
Dallas County Republican Party Chairman Wade Emmert says the Affordable Care Act won’t work. “There’s been no indication they can get it to work. We’ll see if at the end of November, if they meet their additional promises, but once it does work, there’s no guarantee policies will be attractive to people.”
But Davis says he’s not part of the political debate.
He just wants to help people. “What we’re finding is a lot of enthusiasm for ACA.”
After President Obama’s meeting late Wednesday afternoon at Temple Emanu-El, he will attend two fundraisers in Dallas, the main purpose of his trip. He will then return to the White House.
- Facade Collapses Next To Parking Garage In Uptown
- Consumer Justice Results Round-Up: $1300 In Refunds In 2 Weeks
- Fort Worth Police Looking For Driver Who Killed Firefighter
- Vote Leaves Browser “The Library Cat” Homeless; Friends Claw For A Recall
- Homeowners Handing Over Control Of Thermostat To Lower Bills
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures