What To Do With Exide Waste In Frisco?
FRISCO (CBSDFW.COM) - The Exide battery recycling plant in Frisco has been shut down for a year. But some Frisco residents said that the fight is not yet over. The issue is what to do with the waste from the plant — bury it or remove it.
Meghan Green, who lives just a couple of miles away from the shutdown plant, said that she would like to see the waste removed from the site and hauled off to a licensed hazardous waste landfill. “It’s a black eye for the city,” she said. “There are studies out there that show the economic impact that living in a city with a landfill does.”
The city estimates that hauling the waste to another site would cost nearly $135 million, and they are unlikely to receive that much money from Exide in bankruptcy court. However, Frisco Mayor Maher Maso explained that cost is not the main factor. “Making sure our residents are protected,” he said, “that is the driving factor.”
While Maso said that no final decision has been made on what to do with the waste, sources told CBS 11 News that the city will most likely support burying the waste in a sealed landfill on site. The landfill would be constantly monitored to ensure that none of the hazardous materials seep from the contained area. This plan would cost an estimated $20 million, and many argue that it would be just as safe as hauling it away.
The deadline for the city to file a claim against Exide in bankruptcy court is Tuesday.
- Bowl Season Arrives In N. Texas To Delight Of Fans, Businesses
- Neighborhood Blogger Feared For His Life After Officer Run-In
- Good Samaritan Gunman Stops Assault In Progress
- Jaguars Dancers Awarded $2.3 Million Settlement
- Lakers’ Bryant Out For 3rd Straight Game At Dallas
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures