Former Cowboy Dorsett Shows Signs Of Brain Disease
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Former Dallas Cowboy Tony Dorsett has shown signs of having chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a brain disease normally found after a victim dies. It’s a progressive degenerative disease, which usually happens to people with a history of multiple concussions and other forms of head injury. He underwent brain scans and clinical evaluations during the past three months at UCLA to determine what was causing his dementia, suicidal thoughts and depression. All three conditions are side effects of CTE.
“My memory, is getting worse and worse as the days go by, my short-temper… gets worse,” the Pro Football Hall of Famer told CBS 11 News.
Dorsett is one of a handful of the first confirmed living cases of the brain disease caused by the physical blows that come with playing football. It’s a neurological disease that has shown up in the autopsies of boxers.
“Years ago it was called punch-drunk syndrome among boxers,” according to Dr. Munro Cullum with UT Southwestern’s Neuropsychology Department.
Dr. Cullum studies the brain health of former NFL players, including athletes with a history of concussions. He said the research remains unclear about the crippling disease.
“If you have concussions, you may be at greater risk of problems later in life, but we don’t know in individual cases who’s at risk, or has this pathology building up in the brain,” said Dr. Cullum.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Another Water Main Break For Same Dallas Neighborhood
- North Texas Girl Attacked By Family Border Collie
- Texas Attorney General Hires Lawyer
- Ft. Worth Outdoor Warning Sirens Fail Wednesday; Repairs Underway
- Medicine Mistakes At Your Pharmacy
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures