Abbott, Davis Register Candidacies For Governor
AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott and state Sen. Wendy Davis have formally registered their candidacies for their parties’ nominations for governor in next year’s primaries.
Abbott filed at the Texas Republican Party headquarters in Austin on Saturday after participating in campaign rally. The Democrat Davis filed Saturday at an Internet shipping company headquarters in Austin.
The two seek to succeed Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who isn’t seeking re-election.
Abbott is the most lushly financed candidate in the Republican field for governor that also includes former Texas party leader Tom Pauken. Abbott cites his efforts to fight government expansion as his campaign’s centerpiece.
Davis says she, too, is making job creation the focus of her campaign by promoting medical and research science, technology, oil and gas production and education.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sony Pictures Pulls Plug on ‘The Interview’
- Admitted Molester At Center Of Child Porn Case Indicted
- Bed Bugs Infest Fort Worth Building, Employees Displaced
- Manhunt Continues For Man Accused Of Murder
- Pump Fake Still An Old Standby Tool In QB’s Belt
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures