Rangers Hire Molina As First Base Coach
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) — The Texas Rangers completed their coaching staff on Tuesday by hiring former Rangers catcher Bengie Molina as a first base coach and catching coordinator.
Bobby Jones was promoted to assistant hitting coach to round out Ron Washington’s staff.
“Bengie made a tremendous impact on our organization in a short time in playing for us in 2010,” said Assistant General Manager Thad Levine. “Truly impressed us. He stands out as a winner.”
Molina spent the 2013 season as an assistant hitting coach with St. Louis following a 13-year MLB career. Molina retired following the 2010 season with Texas, in which the Rangers fell to San Francisco in the World Series.
Texas acquired the Puerto Rico native midway through the 2010 season from San Francisco for reliever Chris Ray and minor league starter Michael Main.
Molina appeared in 57 games during the season and was the team’s primary catcher in its playoff run. In 13 playoff games, Molina hit .293 with two homeruns and eight RBIs.
Molina also became just the fifth player in club history to hit for the cycle on July 25 at Fenway Park.
“I’m taking this opportunity in,” said Molina. “Thanks to Jon Daniels, [Ron Washington] and all those guys that trust me enough to bring me on board. I’m just going to come in and try to help as many people as I can.”
Jones has been in the Texas organization for 24 years, most recently serving as the manager of Triple-A affiliate Round Rock.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Darren Woodson To Be Added To Cowboys Ring Of Honor
- Cowboys Cap Hell: The Scoop On The Latest Myth
- This Week In Baseball: Winners & Losers Of The MLB Trade Deadline
- Cowboys Romo And Dez And The Positives Of Fighting
- Charles Haley Still Providing Pressure
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures