SMU Grants Release To Leading Scorer Jones
GARLAND (AP) - Jalen Jones, who led SMU in scoring and rebounding last season as a sophomore, has received his release and won’t play for the Mustangs this season, the school confirmed Friday night before SMU hosted Rhode Island at the Curtis Culwell Center in the Dallas suburb of Garland.
Jones, a 6-7 guard from Dallas, wasn’t with the team when SMU opened its season Friday with a 69-61 victory over TCU. Jones tweeted Saturday that he would be transferring from SMU following the current semester.
After Friday night’s game, SMU coach Larry Brown addressed Jones’ absence. “Jalen, I think wants badly to be a starter and wants to be a small forward and wants to play 35 minutes a game,” Brown said. “I don’t know if that’s in the cards right now.”
Last season, Jones averaged 32.4 minutes and started every game as the Mustangs, averaging 14.0 points and 7.7 rebounds.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bowl Season Arrives In N. Texas To Delight Of Fans, Businesses
- Neighborhood Blogger Feared For His Life After Officer Run-In
- Good Samaritan Gunman Stops Assault In Progress
- Jaguars Dancers Awarded $2.3 Million Settlement
- Lakers’ Bryant Out For 3rd Straight Game At Dallas
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures