Dallas’ Johny Hendricks Challenges Georges St. Pierre For UFC Title
DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – You may not realize it, but Saturday night presents an opportunity for Dallas to claim another championship. The title? The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s welterweight title. The fighter? Dallas’ own Johny “Bigg Rigg” Hendricks.
Listen to Richard Hunter talk to Johny Hendricks about his UFC 167 main event title fight.
The Oklahoma State wrestling stand out gets his long awaited shot at UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre at The MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Saturday night exclusively on pay per view.
While St. Pierre is regarded by some as the best pound for pound fighter in the sport, insiders and experts are giving Hendricks a much better shot at dethroning the long standing champion than they have anyone else in quite some time.
Although St. Pierre has held the belt for almost six years, Hendricks will present a combination of a world class wrestling pedigree and devastating one punch knock out power that makes him unique from anyone else that GSP has faced. The champion himself is calling it “the biggest challenge of his career”.
Hendricks is 10-1 in The UFC, with his lone loss coming via decision three years ago. Five of his wins have come via knock out, with four of those knock outs coming in the first round.
St. Pierre will have to be ready to withstand the power of Hendricks from the opening bell, through a scheduled five round twenty-five minute contest.
Either the Canadian born champion with further cement his legacy, or the Dallas based challenger will be the recipient of the proverbial passing of the torch. Either way, this fight is beyond a compelling match up, and well worth the price of admission.
Follow Richard on Twitter @RichardHunter
Listen to Richard preview the fight live from The UFC media center at The MGM Grand in Las Vegas with The G-Bag Nation – Thursday at 11:15 a.m.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Tiger Shoots 82 For Highest Score Of Career
- Coach Carroll Leaves Decision To Sherman If Baby Arrives Early
- Goodell: No Decision Yet On Discipline For Lynch Antics
- Suspect Sketch Released In Lewisville Child Abduction Attempt
- Duncanville Man Shot, Killed In His Car
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures