Oakland Joins Pursuit Of Nelson Cruz
ORLANDO, Fla. (CBS NEWS) - There’s a surprise entry in the Nelson Cruz sweepstakes, and it’s the Oakland A’s.
The Seattle Mariners, New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies are among the other teams in pursuit of Cruz, who hit 27 home runs in a suspension-shortened season.
A’s general manager Billy Beane likes to pick his spots for a big play, and Cruz is apparently a player who Beane likes. The small-market A’s could end up with an issue about the dollars and years in the end. Oakland also does not like to surrender a draft choice, which they would have to do in this case should they sign Cruz.
Oakland has been looking for a right-handed-hitting outfielder after declining to pick up the option on Chris Young, but this would be a much bigger splash than anyone anticipated. Beane is known for putting together competitive to excellent teams on a shoestring, but he occasionally tries to step into deep waters.
Cruz had 76 RBI and hit .266 in a season shortened by 50 games by his Biogenesis suspension.
- Lady Bears Fall Short Of Final Four, Prepare For Next Season
- Pre-Game Playlist: Devon Still ‘Shakes It Off’ With Daughter Leah
- Parkland Hospital Unveils New Facility
- Texas Freshman Myles Turner Says He’ll Enter NBA Draft
- Mosquito Season Begins In Dallas County
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures