Young & Old Rushed From Homes After Pipeline Explosion
Get Breaking News First
MILFORD (CBS 11 NEWS) – Keyshia Smith heard the explosion and watched the flames rise just beyond her back porch.
Moments later, she says, a sheriff’s deputy arrived. “Banging on the door saying, ‘I need for you to go now. The pipeline is under your house. It’s literally on fire. You need to go before your house explodes.’”
The evacuation happened so quickly Tempie Singleton said she didn’t even have time to grab her medication. “It felt like I was in a movie or something.”
On a Milford ISD campus, 8-year-old Tianna Barbio had just started her first day at her new school. “Everybody just started freaking out, because they saw the smoke coming out of the sky,” she remembered. Her mother, Tiffany Barbio, arrived to pull her out of class. “I’m terrified of fires, so I had a panic attack,” she said.
Minutes later, the district began busing students six miles away to the high school in Italy. “It’s just something up your spine and down your stomach,” said Alice Jacinto.
Jacinto said she struggled to stay collected as her grandson helped her out of her wheelchair and into her car. “She was kind of in a rush to get out of there,” 13-year-old Matteo Jacinto remembered.
“I tried to be cool and calm and not let anyone know how scared I was because there you are – you’re supposed to be the strong one that never falls apart but you’re shaking inside,” Alice admitted. Still holding it together, she says she’s amazed everyone survived the blaze.
- Man Trusting Strangers For Help Tossed Off Bridge Instead
- Stars Fall To The Ducks In First Playoff Game
- Dallas’ Helmet Ordinance A Road Block For Bike-Share Plans
- Mavs Fall To 8th Seed With 106-105 OT Loss To Grizzlies
- Martin Delivers Walk-Off Single As Rangers Rally 3-2
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures