Community Outpouring Of Support For Milford Evacuees
Get Breaking News First
ELLIS COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) - Random acts of kindness have sprung up in the wake of the pipeline explosion and evacuation of Milford this week.
The school’s high school football team Friday held practice on a field provided by neighboring Italy High School. Travion Jones wore his cowboy boots, the only footwear he had. Like other evacuees, the players say they left all their possessions back in Milford.
“I left my cleats, my shoulder pads, helmets, mouthpiece, game socks that I wear every game,” said Jacarvus Gates.
With the first round of playoffs scheduled for this weekend, they worried their hard work might go to waste.
“Yesterday I was thinking we weren’t gonna be able to play at all,” said Eric Evans.
The game is set to take place at Clifton High School, and when the coach there heard the team was missing basic equipment, he called them.
“I just told ‘em. Well, shoot you can borrow ours if you need to, it’s no problem, we have it right here,” said Coach Brandon Brown.
Rows of helmets, pads, and cleats are now waiting for them.
Alice Jacinto knows about the kindness of strangers.
She says, she waited more than 9 hours Thursday at a Red Cross shelter waiting for a voucher for a handicap accessible hotel room.
A deputy constable finally stepped in.
“I guess the constable had seen us there all that time, and he finally out of the kindness of the heart said, ‘You people have been here too long. I’m gonna set you up,” she said.
He brought her and her family to the Holiday Inn Express in Waxahachie and paid for a room out of his own pocket.
“It made me feel so good that there are still people who care for other people that they don’t even know,” she said. “The word ‘Thank You’ is just not enough.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Amazon To Hire 2,500 People In North Texas
- Peyton Manning Is Particular, Andrew Hawkins Is Funny And Aaron Craft Is A Bear?
- No. 11 Wildcats Preparing To Stop Texas, Swoopes
- Texas Tech Takes On Similar Offense In No. 10 TCU
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About WWE Legend Chris Jericho
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures