Cornyn Says GOP Needs To “Actually Govern”
Get Breaking News First
AUSTIN (AP) - U.S. Sen. John Cornyn is calling for big-tent inclusiveness among Republicans and suggesting his party needs to be the “responsible adults in the room and actually govern.”
The Senate’s No. 2 Republican kicked off his campaign for a third term Friday in Austin.
His sentiments contrasted sharply his junior colleague and fellow Texan, the ideologically fire-breathing Ted Cruz.
Cruz has promised to never stop fighting for conservative principles, no matter the cost. Cornyn says he agrees with that and isn’t distancing himself from Cruz.
But he also said the GOP should get back to the notion that agreeing with someone 80 percent of the time makes them a friend “not a 20 percent traitor.”
Gov. Rick Perry endorsed Cornyn at the event. Cruz was invited, but didn’t attend.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- TCU Gets Record-Setting 82-27 Rout Of Tech
- Sam Houston With 38-21 Win Over Abilene Christian
- Williams, Tretola Pace Arkansas Past UAB 45-17
- Alcorn St. Shuts Down Prairie View, 77-48
- Data Crunchers Help North Texans Choose A College
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures