FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Fort Worth’s newest landmark already opened ahead of schedule, and the city will celebrate with a huge party on Friday night. Mayor Betsy Price is expected to officially flip the switch on the 7th Street Bridge with a lighting ceremony at 6:07 p.m. followed by a night of festivities.
As many as 1,000 people are expected to be in attendance for the momentous occasion.
“We’ve got about 32 guest tables, seated, and about 30 standup cocktail tables,” said production manager John Jakob. “Then, we’ve got miccellaneous food station tables and bars and prep tables.”
Tickets to the event are still available for $77. That includes a VIP reception on the bridge, with food from celebrity chefs, and fireworks at 10:07 p.m. to conclude the event. Sense a theme here? Seven is the number of the night in honor of the 7th Street Bridge.
And the fun does not end on Friday. There is another festival and parade set for Saturday.
The new bridge, with its stunning 12 concrete arches and steel beams, replaces the old one which was 100 years old. It connects the Fort Worth cultural district and the downtown business area. The project cost $25 million and actually opened last month for motor vehicles to cross.
The bridge is closed again this weekend for the opening ceremonies. This official opening will now add pedestrian walks and bike lanes to the vital Fort Worth roadway.
Those who have been involved in planning Fort Worth’s newest attraction said that it was important to make the new 7th Street Bridge more than just a bridge. “Something that takes a nod from architectural elements in the cultural district and becomes this great place,” said Stacey Pierce, executive director with Streams & Valleys, “not just for vehicles, but especially for our pedestrians, for our cyclists, and transportation modes of the future.”
- Keidel: The Bell Tolls For Le’Veon
- Man Sentenced In KS For Stealing Grand Prairie Man’s Identity
- New Texas Women’s Health Program Has Family Planning Focus
- This Week in Golf: Vegas Wins Canadian Open With Closing-Round Comeback
- Heroes To Get In Free At Hawaiian Falls
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures