SMU Fends Off UConn 38-21
DALLAS (AP) — Garrett Gilbert threw four touchdown passes to help SMU hold off Connecticut 38-21 Saturday.
The national leader in total offense at 409.4 yards per game before Saturday passed for 353 yards and ran for 23 against the Huskies.
SMU (4-5, 3-2 American Athletic Conference) improved its chance of becoming bowl eligible. The Mustangs must win two of their final three games.
UConn (0-9, 0-5) stayed within a touchdown of SMU until 3:50 remained in the game.
At that point, SMU’s Chase Hover kicked a 27-yard field goal, set up by Connecticut’s 14-yard punt.
Three plays after that, UConn committed its first turnover. Under pressure, quarterback Casey Cochran threw an interception that SMU’s Stephon Sanders returned 35 yards for a touchdown.
Gilbert passed for two touchdowns each to Jeremy Johnson and Keenan Holman. Johnson finished with 12 catches for 71 yards. Holman had 8 for 88 yards.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Staples: Customer Data Exposed In Security Breach
- Rondo Wants Another Title Run In Move To Dallas
- Perry: Top Official Resigning Over No-Bid Contract
- Unexpected Surprise For Some Collin County Burglary Victims
- Animal Shelter At Code Red Full; Specials Offered
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Sleepy Driver Crashes Into Mattress Store
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures