Keller Soldier Killed In Afghanistan
Get Breaking News First
KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN (CBSDFW.COM) - A soldier from Keller who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom died Nov. 17, according to the Department of Defense.
Staff Sgt. Alex Anthony Viola, 29, died of wounds received from an improvised explosive device in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan.
He was assigned to Company B, 3rd Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne). This was Viola’s first deployment during his military career.
Viola joined the Army National Guard in June 2009 as an engineer sergeant and was assigned to 1st Battalion, 19th Special Forces Group (Airborne), from June 2009 to April 2010. He began his Special Forces training in April 2010 at Ft. Bragg, N.C. He graduated from Special Forces Qualification Course in June 2011, and was assigned to 1st Bn., 19th SFG (A), Camp Williams, Utah.
In March 2013 Viola was assigned to 3rd Bn., 7th SFG (A), Eglin Air force Base, Fla. He was deployed to Afghanistan with that unit when he was killed.
His military education includes U.S. Army Basic Airborne Course, Combat Lifesaver Course, the Warrior Leader Course, Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape Course, the Special Forces Qualification Course, the Advanced Leader Course and the Combat Diver Qualification Course.
Viola’s awards and decorations include the Army Achievement Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Army Good Conduct Medal, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the Noncommissioned Officer Development Ribbon with Numeral 2, the Army Service Ribbon, the NATO Medal, the Parachutist Badge, the Combat Infantryman Badge, the Special Operations Dive Badge and the Special Forces Tab.
He is survived by his parents and sister.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Talk Of Closing Olive Street In Downtown Dallas
- Zebra Mussels Move Into Denton Water System
- Top 5 Starting Rotations If The Playoffs Started Today
- Teen Defies Odds; Lives Well Past Doctor’s Prognosis
- Preparations For Unaccompanied Children Comes To Screeching Halt
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Dallas Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Birdville ISD On Edge After Abduction Attempts
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures