DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – From Chicago and New York. From Japan and Denmark. You will find tourists from around the world during a visit to Dealey Plaza, especially this week as Dallas commemorates the 50th anniversary of President JFK’s assassination. At every corner of Elm and Houston, visitors with cameras in hand filled Dallas’ most notorious plaza.
The site of President JFK’s murder is not the reason for Jim Poehlman’s visit to Dallas, but like so many others Dealey Plaza was a definite Dallas destination.
This is where we wanted to be, to come. We thought it would be needed to come down, just for the fact its the 50th anniversary coming, I wish I could be here on Friday.
They’ve come for business conventions, weddings, family visits. But they’ve also stood in long lines to tour the sixth floor museum, which documents Kennedy’s assassination.
“This is an historical site. It’s the anniversary. To see it, is surreal,” said Mindi Naticchioni, from Cincinnati.
Dealey Plaza is known as Dallas’ front door and the birthplace of Dallas. Ironically, for the thousands who visit here yearly, the one site for them, is viewed as a place of death.
“Dallas is known as the place where Kennedy was shot, and coming for a convention, it leads me right down here,” said Holger Wemmelund, in town from Denmark.
It’s expected thousands will make the same trek along the grassy knoll by Friday. People worldwide visiting Dallas and collectively visiting Dallas’ most noted site.
- Man Killed By San Antonio Police In Domestic Violence Call
- Public Awareness Campaign Aims To Prevent Child Heat Deaths
- Supreme Court Says Accused Killer Entitled To New Trial
- Father Sentenced To Prison For Providing Drugs To Teen Daughter
- Reports Of 15 Dead In Knife Attack Outside Tokyo
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Dallas Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Birdville ISD On Edge After Abduction Attempts
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures