ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – The Texas Rangers and Detroit Tigers have agreed to a deal to send slugger Prince Fielder to Texas for second baseman Ian Kinsler.
The deal, which was first reported by Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, was confirmed by the Rangers on Wednesday evening.
Texas will also receive a reported $30 million in cash to complete the deal.
Both players have considerable time left on long-term deals. Kinsler is owed $62 million total through 2017, while Fielder is owed $168 million through 2020.
According to sources, Fielder’s contract also included a limited ‘no-trade’ provision which gave him the ability to block the trade.
In 9 seasons, Fielder has collected 285 homeruns while batting .286 with an OPS of .916. The five-time All Star has been durable, missing just one game since 2009.
In 2013, he hit .279 with 25 home runs and 106 RBI in 162 games with the A.L. Central Division champion Tigers.
At Rangers Ballpark, Fielder is a career .265 hitter with a .965 OPS figure, four home runs, and 15 RBI in 13 career games.
Kinsler, a three-time All Star selection, was drafted in the 17th round by Texas in 2003.
The second baseman leaves the organization with a career .273 average, 156 homeruns, 539 RBIs, and 1145 hits — 9th most in club history.
Kinsler is the club’s all-time leader in stolen bases (172) and hit by pitches (57) and ranks fifth in runs (748).
In eight seasons, Kinsler twice joined the 30-30 club (2009, 2011), hitting at least 30 homeruns and stealing at least 30 bases.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- As Early Voting Begins, Both Parties In N. Texas Say They’re Energized
- Suspect With Knife Shot, Killed By Denton Officer
- Skimming Devices Found On Pumps At Busy Gas Station In Pleasant Grove
- Baker Mayfield Picks Up Davey O’Brien Award In Fort Worth
- AP Source: JD Martinez, Red Sox Agree To $110M, 5-Year Deal
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures