Jerry Jones: Garrett Will Return To Cowboys In 2014
Cowboys CentralBuy Cowboys Tickets Shop for Cowboys Gear NFL Scoreboard
Sports Fan Insider
IRVING (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — The Dallas Cowboys have failed to reach the playoffs in each of Jason Garrett’s first two seasons as head coach. And if they fail to do so again in 2013, he won’t be fired.
Dallas owner Jerry Jones declared on Thursday that Garrett will return in 2014 regardless of whether the Cowboys qualify for the playoffs.
Jones said he’s “disappointed” the Cowboys don’t have a better record as they get ready for an important NFC East game against the New York Giants on Sunday.
Dallas is 5-5, a half-game behind idle Philadelphia in the division. The Cowboys are trailing in the NFC East for the first time this season. The Giants (4-6) have won four straight after an 0-6 start.
The Cowboys finish the regular season at home against the Eagles. They have a lost a playoffs-or-bust finale to a division rival each of the past two seasons.
Garrett joined the Cowboys as the team’s offensive coordinator in 2007. He was named interim head coach in 2010 following a 1-7 start under Wade Phillips.
Following a 5-1 record to end the season, Garrett was named the team’s head coach in 2011.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- College Football Spotlight: Get Ready To Debate One-Loss Playoff Contenders
- Demarcus Lawrence Has Cowboys ‘Frothing At The Mouth’
- Playoff Pinch Hits: Why The Royals Will Win The World Series In 6 Games
- Jerry Jones: Snyder Should Keep Redskins Name
- Opponent Profile: Washington Redskins Hope For Improvement In Rivals Game Against Cowboys
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures