North Texas (CBSDFW.com) – My thoughts on the coming winter storm:
Winter Storm Warning is now in effect for DFW starting Sunday morning thru Midday Monday.
We will likely see the first round of precip roll thru during the day on Sunday. This could start as rain and then transition to a sleet or freezing rain mixture.
A second round of precip comes in Sunday night into Monday.
There are still big differences in what the newest models are showing. The GFS model is showing a less dramatic winter event for us with some sleet/freezing rain but predominantly a rain event.
The Canadian model shows a worst case scenario with 1″ or more of freezing rain accumulation.
The other models are split with a mixture of sleet and freezing rain and some snow mix.
All areas of North Texas will have impacts from this event. But areas southwest of DFW may see higher amounts of precipitation than others. If you break NTX into four quadrants defined by interstate lines, the area southwest of DFW would be south of I-20 and west of I-35. But again all area will see impacts.
The most likely scenario for the Metroplex looks to be that sleet/freezing rain mixture with an ice accumulation of up to .5″ and/or a sleet accumulation of 1″. But again if other scenarios play out it could be much worse or not as bad.
As for road conditions, if above likely scenario plays out, bridges and overpasses would be icy during day on Sunday once precip starts. But more roads would become icy Sunday night into Monday morning.
There is still the possibility of some snow too.
On Monday the precip will transition to all rain during the day which would melt any accumulation we see. But that won’t happen until late morning or early afternoon.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Parker Co Man On Parole For 1983 Murder Arrested For Sexual Assault
- ‘Pokemon Go’ Planning Update With Trading Capability
- Van In Wreck With Dallas Cowboys Staff Bus Was Turning Left
- Demolition Underway At The Historic Fort Worth Stockyards
- Fantasy Football 2016: Top 10 Wide Receivers
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures