Apartment Fire Kills 2 Children In East Dallas
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A young boy was trapped inside a burning apartment in far East Dallas and died Sunday morning. The blaze also killed his sibling. It happened at the Casa Flores Apartments around 9:15 a.m. The children’s mother and her 5-month-old baby made it out of the second-story apartment. They’re both recovering from significant injuries at Parkland Hospital.
“This is the time of year where we start to see a spike in fires. A lot of those fires, especially fatalities are the result of homes with malfunctioning or no smoke detectors at all,” Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said.
Several neighbors tried to put out the fire with fire extinguishers and attempted to rescue the apartment unit’s residents, Evans said. None of them were injured. Fire officials are investigating the cause of the fire.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Wrong-Way Drivers Caught On Video Leaving AT&T Stadium
- Salmonella Tied To Cucumbers Sickens 9 In Texas
- Damaging Spring Floods Still Affecting Lakeside Businesses
- Tourist Accused Of Keying The Alamo Arrested
- Public Shows Support For Police During ‘Back The Blue’
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures