DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A young boy was trapped inside a burning apartment in far East Dallas and died Sunday morning. The blaze also killed his sibling. It happened at the Casa Flores Apartments around 9:15 a.m. The children’s mother and her 5-month-old baby made it out of the second-story apartment. They’re both recovering from significant injuries at Parkland Hospital.
“This is the time of year where we start to see a spike in fires. A lot of those fires, especially fatalities are the result of homes with malfunctioning or no smoke detectors at all,” Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said.
Several neighbors tried to put out the fire with fire extinguishers and attempted to rescue the apartment unit’s residents, Evans said. None of them were injured. Fire officials are investigating the cause of the fire.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 1 Dead, 1 Injured After Shooting At Southern California Mall
- Police Investigating Murder At Garland Apartment Complex
- Cowboys Release CB Orlando Scandrick, Will Save $3 Million
- Data Analytics Firm Harvested 50 Million Facebook Profiles
- Jets Acquire No. 3 Overall Draft Pick From Colts
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures