FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Monday morning hundreds of people were in line in East Fort Worth with coats, hats and gloves on.
But they weren’t waiting for a new x-box or even an early line for black Friday deals. The line, which was blocks long and snaked throughout the neighborhood, was for food.
Many people in the line were waiting outside the Community Food Bank’s doors for a Thanksgiving meal especially a turkey.
“The turkey is the main thing that everyone will want,” says Chelsea Balboa who was in line at 8 o’clock in the morning “That’s what I really came for — the turkey.”
Unfortunately, Community Food bank has all the trimmings except for Thanksgiving turkeys this year.
Monday the food bank was forced to leave 1500 people empty handed. They only had 350 turkeys to give away.
“We just took a chance on coming out didn’t expect all these people,” says Clifford Daniels who also waited for hours.
Once the turkeys all disappeared from a big cardboard box volunteers found a hidden stash of turkeys in the freezer.
“This is all the turkey that we have,” says Regena Taylor, Executive Director of Community Food Bank.
But what was in the cart was only about a dozen turkeys for the hundreds left in line.
“I pray that people are going to listen and people are going to drop turkeys off at our back gate,” says Taylor. “The number of people needing food has increased.”
Heather Love heard the plea and dropped off a Honeysuckle turkey. “We are all in this world together to help each other out. Anything I can do!”
People such as Michelle Irwin are grateful for the generosity of the food bank. She received the last turkey the food bank had.
“It’s going to make a difference for my family this year.”
Community Food Bank is expecting another thousand people to line up Tuesday. They are relying on volunteers to donate more turkeys to satisfy the need.
Community Food Bank is accepting turkey donations through Tuesday around the clock and doors open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
If you would like to make a donation call 817-924-3333 or click food-bank.org.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Arraignment Set For Oklahoma Man In Co-Worker’s Beheading
- Congress Likely To Give Final OK To Local Internet Tax Ban
- Odds Are High That Spieth Enjoys Pebble Beach
- U.S. Women Open Olympic Soccer Qualifying With Win
- University Of Texas System Regents To Consider Tuition Hike
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures