LONGVIEW, Texas (AP) — A nurse died and four people were injured Tuesday in a stabbing attack at an East Texas medical complex, which a hospital official called isolated.
Police detained a man after the stabbings, which happened around 7 a.m. Tuesday at the Ambulatory Surgical Center of Good Shepherd Medical Center in Longview.
Gregg County Jail booking records show 22-year-old Kyron Rayshawn Templeton of Longview has been charged with four counts of aggravated assault. His bond has been set at $2.6 million.
Hospital CEO Steve Altmiller identified the slain nurse as Gail Sandidge at an afternoon news conference.
“The Good Shepherd family tragically lost a member of our team this morning,” said Altmiller.
A visitor who was stabbed is in critical condition, hospital spokeswoman Victoria Ashworth said, while two other visitors and a hospital worker were in good condition.
“All of the victims were taken to the emergency center for assessment and treatment,” Altmiller said. “This was an isolated incident that was diligently handled by the Longview Police Department and our Good Shepherd response team.”
Altmiller and Longview police spokeswoman Kristie Brian say Templeton was at the hospital with his mother when he went on a knife-slashing rampage.
Templeton fled on foot but was caught and arrested nearby.
Brian says it’s not clear what led to the attack.
Good Shepherd Medical Center is a 425-bed acute-care hospital about 120 miles southeast of Dallas.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Coppell High School’s Solomon Thomas Heads To NFL Draft
- The 90s Called, Topshop Answered With Clear Jeans
- Armed Man With Mask Arrested For Making Threats To Police
- Anthony Joshua: ‘Wladimir Klitschko Is Underrated’
- Pirates Rookie Ngoepe 1st African Player To Reach Majors
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures