Maynard Set For Trilogy Fight With Diaz
Sports Fan Insider
DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – It’s been a groundbreaking season for The UFC’s “Ultimate Fighter” reality show franchise, and Saturday night will feature a live finale in Las Vegas that will see the first ever female fighter crowned as the winner of a six figure contract with the mixed martial arts promotion.
After that happens, however, the lightweight division will gain some clarity as two contenders face off in the main event for what will be the third installment in their fight trilogy.
Themselves both former products of the TUF reality series, Gray Maynard and Nate Diaz have met twice before.
The first time was in 2007 when they were cast mates on the show, resulting in Diaz submitting Maynard via guillotine in the semifinals and eventually winning the tournament. The second time saw Maynard evening the score, taking a split decision in 2010.
Since then, both have challenged for the lightweight title and lost, and both are looking to work their way back to a shot at the belt. A win Saturday night puts either fighter potentially within one more win of achieving that goal.
Richard Hunter talks with Gray Maynard about his upcoming fight Saturday night.
“The Ultimate Fighter” season 18 live finale airs on FOX Sports 1 Saturday night at 9:00 p.m. (Central).
Follow Richard Hunter on Twitter @RichardHunter for live updates from cage side Saturday night in Las Vegas.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Lewis Gets 1st Win In 2 Years As Rangers Defeat White Sox
- Perez Scores In 88th As FC Dallas Tops Toronto 2-1
- Stars Home, Ready For Return Of Playoffs To Dallas
- Rangers Place OF Adduci On DL, Recall INF Sardinas
- Strong Era Begins At Texas With Shaky QB Play
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures