ARLINGTON (AP) – The Texas Rangers have received outfielder Rafael Ortega on a waiver claim from the Colorado Rockies.
Ortega played 42 games for Double-A Tulsa in the Texas League last season before sustaining a hairline fracture on his shin. The left-handed leadoff hitter batted .228 with one homer, 10 RBIs and nine stolen bases.
With the move Wednesday, the Rangers have 39 players on their major league roster.
Ortega appeared in two games for Colorado in 2012. Signed as a non-drafted free agent in January 2008, Ortega played six seasons in the Rockies organization. He stole 30 bases or more three times in his first five minor league seasons.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Florida Nightclub Shooting Leaves Two Dead, 16 Hurt
- Texas Democrats React To Drama As National Convention Begins
- More Than A Dozen Structures Coming Down At The Stockyards
- North Richland Hills Church Involved In Sexual Misconduct Investigation
- Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Children Turns Self In To Police
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures