DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – After the Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping frenzy a new national initiative is being set. But this one is aimed at getting Texans and the rest of the country in the spirit of giving.
After having lived a life of more than 80 years, Helen Mayfield has seen a lot. But she said this is the first time she’s been the beneficiary of a new initiative – Giving Tuesday. The national day of generosity launched last year.
The idea is to encourage people, after overindulging in the Thanksgiving weekend shopping frenzy, to donate their time, energy and money to non-profit organizations.
In Dallas a team of volunteers set out to deliver meals to the elderly and disabled.
“There’s a lot of people that doesn’t [sic] have family to come and visit and actually they are suffering for food as well… even in America,” one volunteer said. “So it was just some small attempt to try and rectify the problem or at least be a part of the solution.”
As part of Giving Tuesday, fifty teams of volunteers from Texas Instruments delivered hot meals and good conversation to hundreds of North Texas homes. And while Helen and Will Mayfield received a nice a meal, the volunteers who served them got some great laughs.
“My name is Will…will do anything, say anything,” Mr. Mayfield said.
Married for 63 years they’ve raised 11 children and the couple certainly hasn’t lost their sense of humor. “I think it’s good for them to see us and see how good looking I am,” Mr. Mayfield said to the laughing group.
When asked what the secret was to their 63-year marriage Mrs. Mayfield said, “A deaf ear.”
While it was the volunteers who gave their time in the end they say they received so much more. Everyone enjoyed the nuggets of wisdom and humor from a couple with a lifetime of stories. “It was just really nice to hear kind of how they did it and how they manage it. Because we kind of lose that perspective I think when we don’t interact with people that have done this before.”
The volunteer group said they plan to continue to volunteer even after Giving Tuesday.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Churches Pray, Serve Where Deadly Tornadoes Struck Six Months Ago
- Chile Wins 2nd Straight Copa America Title
- Dallas Police Identify Suspect Vehicle In Murder Investigation
- 9-Year-Old Drowns In East Fort Worth Apartment Pool
- At Least 7 Stabbed At Protest Outside California Capitol
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures