COLLIN COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – Freezing rain and sleet fell across North Texas Thursday night, making streets, bridges and overpasses slick and dangerous.
A CBS 11 News crew saw a number of problems just east of Denton – in Collin County. Just before midnight Highway 75 remained clear, with only a few slick spots.
If you’d gone outside, which you probably shouldn’t, if felt like cold and small ice pellets hitting your face.
Occasionally there were periods of heavy sleet in Collin County, but just before midnight the pavement hadn’t frozen over.
At the State Highway 121 and Central Expressway interchange traffic moving at a reasonable pace. Surprisingly there were no apparent problems on ramps, which are usually the first to freeze over during an ice storm.
Earlier Thursday heavy sleet covered the ground in McKinney, but it wasn’t long before the sleet turned back into rain.
In southern Collin County the winter weather hit just as evening rush hour was ending. The wintry mix contributed to several accidents – including a fairly serious crash in Plano.
Those who dare to drive overnight better be prepared to first battle a frozen windshield. CBS 11 crews say iced over vehicles in parking lots everywhere.
The window for safe travel in Collin County is closing fast. The CBS 11 Storm team is predicting continuing falling temperatures and rain turning back into sleet.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Scout Leader Remembered As Loving Mother, Generous Volunteer
- Churches Gather To Pray For The City Of Dallas
- Hamels Picks Up 11th Win, Rangers Top Royals 7-4
- Shooting At Texas Apartment Leaves Four Dead
- Kyle Busch Wins NASCAR Xfinity Series Race At Indy Again
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures