FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The winter weather rolling through North Texas this weekend will most certainly have an impact on roadways and travel plans. It could be the most ice on Metroplex roads since the Super Bowl was in town three winters ago.
But officials across DFW said that they are ready for the storm.
Icy conditions can be very unpredictable when it comes to driving on North Texas roads. Sometimes, it is what drivers cannot see that is most dangerous. But several teams are prepared to help clear the way.
Fort Worth has had 30 sanding trucks ready since Wednesday night. There are another 35 sanding trucks ready in Dallas. Crews are set to work 12-hour shifts. At noon on Thursday, the North Texas Tollway Authority will activate its road maintenance center with another 70 sanding trucks and six snowplows. Also, there are 281 trucks from the Texas Department of Transportation — and 600 workers to go with them — prepared to drive around the area and monitor roads.
Crews will be pre-treating the roads on Thursday afternoon, before precipitation arrives on Thursday night. Bridges and elevated roads will be the first get icy, and will be watched closely.
If you have to venture outside, TxDOT recommends that drivers winterize their vehicles. Have a professional check out the the ignition, brakes, wiring, hoses and belts, filters, tire condition, battery and fluids. Drivers should also keep emergency items in their vehicles, like a blanket, extra food and water, a flashlight and a cell phone.
The National Weather Service said that airports are under a Winter Storm Warning too. That begins at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday and lasts for 23 hours, until 6:00 p.m. Friday night. The threat of icing during takeoffs and landings almost always slows things down at airports, and the winter storm will impact a large swatch of the south and midwest United States, so air travelers are urged to check the status of their flights before heading out.
- Becoming A Practical ‘Prepper’
- Man Turns In Thousands Of Dollars Found In Road In Fort Worth
- Crew Of Air Force Jet That Crashed In West Texas Identified
- Federal Judge Blocks Texas Ban Of Common Abortion Procedure
- Sessions Orders Review Of Background Check System For Guns
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures