Weight Of Ice Too Much For Pier At North Texas Marina
LEWISVILLE (CBSDFW.COM) – The weight of the ice was too much for the Pier 121 Marina on Lake Lewisville. As inches of sleet weighed down, the roof of the marina collapsed damaging scores of boats.
Those who’ve lived in the area for years have never seen anything like it. Residents said the area got as much ice as anyone can remember.
Friday night there were only gaping holes and twisted and dented bows and sterns underneath the metal roof that housed boats, many of which were so big they served as homes to some of their owners.
In all, 50 yachts suffered extensive damage when the dock collapsed.
Ryan Raymer arrived at the Pier 121 marina only to find out his $150,000 boat was among those stored in the above ground dock that is now in a pile of debris, underwater. “There’s not a whole lot you can do you,” he said. “It’s just one of the unfortunate circumstances, but you have insurance the biggest issue is going to be getting everything out.”
A crew from Texas Power Boating took a CBS 11 News team out on the lake to get an up close look at what’s left of the damaged dock. Many of the boats damaged are worth more than $1,000,000 and there’s concern other nearby docks are also in jeopardy of sinking.
One boat owner, who was sleeping on his yacht when the dock sank, was trapped under the metal roof and had to be rescued but escaped uninjured
There’s still a chance some of the damaged yachts could sink, but as of Friday night it was too dangerous for anyone to even walk on the dock, much less try to secure the vessels.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Remembering West Fertilizer Explosion 2 Years Later
- Hurst Woman Murdered In Apparent Domestic Dispute
- Stormy Weather Brings Dark Clouds To ACM Awards Events
- Prayer Service & Candlelight Vigil 2 Years After West Plant Explosion
- Dallas Homeowners File Suit Against Builder Of LBJ Expressway
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures