Winter Weather Causes Carport Collapse In Plano
PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – Authorities are advising people to avoid the roads as a mix of ice and freezing rain has swept across North Texas. One group of Collin County residents has no choice.
Under the heavy weight of sleet and freezing rain, a carport in Plano collapsed early Friday morning, leaving some residents stranded.
No one was injured in the accident, though five cars were trapped beneath the fallen carport.
One of the apartment residents woke up to what he thought was the sound of thunder and lightning.
“I just heard a real lound cracking sound, it sounded like thunder,” said the resident. “I walked outside and saw the awning lying on the ground.”
Collin County has seen a mix of rain, sleet and freezing rain overnight as temperatures have dipped into the mid-20s.
School districts across the Dallas-Fort Worth area — including Plano ISD — are closed on Friday as a result of the weather.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Man Takes Responsibility For Drone Over White House
- Cops: Ex-Texas Fox News Producer Kills Himself Outside NYC Headquarters
- Jury Selection Begins For Woman Accused Of Murdering 2-Year-Old
- Miss Colombia Crowned Miss Universe In Miami
- Teens Injured In Fort Worth Crash After Fleeing From Police
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures