Dallas Marathon Cancelled; Still Draws Runners
Texas Leaders Consider Freeing More PrisonersAUSTIN (AP) - Texas lawmakers are discussing whether releasing nonviolent convicts is a money-saving way to help deal with a projected $15 billion state budget shortfall. Senate Criminal Justice Committee Chairman John Whitmire of Houston says the state does not have the resources to continue business as usual in Texas. Whitmire said Tuesday that "everything is on the table for discussion this year." The Austin American-Statesman reports lawmakers are considering whether nonviolent foreign citizens who are up for parole and old, ill convicts might be considered for early released. Police, prosecutors and crime victims groups are urging caution in paroling any more convicts. House Corrections Committee chairman Jerry Madden of Richardson says whatever lawmakers decide, it should not compromise public safety. A 2009 legislative study urged that additional medical paroles be considered. (© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – A handful of runners took part in what’s being dubbed the 2013 Ice-pocalypse on Sunday. They signed up to run in the Dallas Marathon, but it was canceled after the arctic blast hit.
There weren’t any officials, no marathon numbers and no big crowds. Volunteers worked together to make the best out of a down right freezing situation. Hot cider and even warm Gatorade were given out at rest stops.
“Props go to everyone who was involved,” said runner Michael Evans.
The small somewhat impromptu mini marathon meant a lot to Rahul Jalali who trained for months for his very first marathon.
“This is my first one so I wasn’t going to give up,” said Jalali.
Runners who registered for the Dallas Marathon won’t get a refund, but a portion of the proceeds raised will benefit the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- State Fair of Texas Announces Winners of the 2015 Big Tex Choice Awards
- Police Investigate Motive In Ambush Of Houston Area Deputy
- Two Apartment Residents Robbed, One Shot Sunday Morning
- Man Shot During Armed Robbery At Apartment Complex
- Cowboys First-Teamers ‘In Good Place’ After Vikings Effort
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures