FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) – Sunday’s temporary warm-up could only do so much to diminish ice still covering area roads. TxDOT and city crews are working to clear highways, but many bridges and overpasses are still covered with huge clumps of ice.
“And in the areas where traffic has stacked up, at times, we’re leaving our vehicles and shoveling sand and salt by hand to get those vehicles, those stuck 18 wheelers moving.,” said Val Lopez with TxDOT Fort Worth District.
The ice is melting and refreezing; turning into more of a bumpy mess.
There’s even a new name for the rocky, frozen formations making overpasses treacherous — cobblestone ice.
Crews traveled in caravans Sunday to scrape away the collected ice and drivers were urged to avoid affected freeways. But some drivers said the freeways were in better shape than many side roads.
“I would stay on the freeways, personally, they seem like they were in a lot better shape than a lot of the side streets.… I agree with that, totally,” said Tonya Freeborn, who is visiting from Colorado.
Many neighborhood streets are still solid sheets of ice. With all the attention put on the condition of freeways, it’s one more thing to consider before venturing out.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- US Oil & Gas Lease Sale To Be Broadcast Live On Internet
- ‘Affluenza’ Mom Tonya Couch Released From House Arrest, Gets Job As Bartender
- First Human Case Of West Nile Confirmed In Lewisville
- Gaston Forecast To Become A Hurricane In Atlantic
- Shawn Forrest Named Assistant Basebetball Coach At SMU
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures