Flights Leaving DFW Airport After Ice Storm
GRAPEVINE (CBSDFW.COM) – Travelers all across the country have been feeling the impact of the winter weather in North Texas. Hundreds of flights in and out of DFW International Airport were grounded this past weekend as the storm blew through and layered a sheet of ice over the Metroplex.
Some passengers were stranded at the airport for days, waiting to get on a flight. And their chances finally appear to be improving early Monday morning. Conditions at the airport are starting to return to normal — lines are significantly shorter and the cancellations board does not look as bad.
According to airport spokeswoman Cynthia Vega, there are now four runways at DFW International Airport which are fully operational. The ground outisde — including the tarmac and taxiways — are considerably drier. There are now about 500 departures scheduled to go out on time and just around 350 cancellations.
“I characterize the situation today as clearly making progress,” added airport spokesman David Magana. “We’ve been making progress through the weekend and today is the best day yet, and we think that the worst clearly is behind us.”
But hundreds of cots are still scattered throughout the airport. Vega stated that about 650 people spent the night at DFW International Airport on Sunday night into Monday morning. Coffee, pastries and other amenities were available to those who stayed overnight.
“I wouldn’t call it fun,” said passenger Kinnita Roy with a laugh. “We made the most of it. We really did. It was not easy to sleep.”
“We slept a little bit,” added passenger Cindy Dyer. “It wasn’t bad. Everybody was accomodating. Starbucks is wonderful, to sleep right in front of Starbucks.”
Travelers are urged to check their flight information before leaving their homes, and to try to make reservations or rebook flights online instead of adding to the already large crowds at the airport. Also, roads surrounding DFW International Airport are still slick, so drivers should exercise extreme caution.
- $3 Million Grand Prairie Park & Ride Lot Sits Empty
- New Bus Services From Dallas To Houston Promises To ‘Luxurious’
- Moustakas Hits Grand Slam In Royals’ Victory Over Rangers
- Mother: Salesperson Shamed Me For Allowing Daughter To Wear Boy Clothes
- Newly Released Video Shows Fort Worth Officer Involved Shooting
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures