Jones Confident In Kiffin’s Ability To ‘Fix’ Cowboys Defense
IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) — The Cowboys defense is on record-setting pace — though not in a positive way.
Through week 14, Dallas has surrendered 426.8 yards per game — 25 more than any other NFL team. The 2012 Saints record of 7,042 yards allowed is well within reach.
For the sixth time this season, Dallas surrendered over 475 yards of total offense on Monday night in sub-zero wind chills in Chicago.
“We obviously don’t go into a week or a ballgame thinking that we’re going to give up the kinds of yards that we’re giving up…and the kind of points that are associated with it,” said Jones on 105.3 The Fan’s G-Bag Nation. “We’ve got a chance to control our own destiny here. This should be an all out hunt for Red October trying to find a way to get better in these last three ballgames as we hope to go into the playoffs.”
If the defense is going to improve, it will be under the direction of first-year Dallas (and veteran) coordinator Monte Kiffin, who brought the much maligned ‘Tampa 2′ defense to Dallas.
The Kiffin-led defense allowed Josh McCown and the Bears to score on their first eight possessions in Monday’s game and failed to force a turnover or punt for the first time this season.
“He takes it personally. It’s hard on him. It’s very hard on him,” said Jones. “He’s been doing this though a long time, at his age, and he’s had a lot of different experiences. With all of that in mind, he’s just got a resolve — he doesn’t in anyway reject the responsibility. As a matter of fact, he invites it on himself.”
Jones says he doesn’t foresee any personnel or scheme changes this season and has full confidence in Kiffin and his defensive staff moving forward.
“To fix what we’re doing, there’s nobody I’d rather have than [Kiffin] and Rod Marinelli,” said Jones. “First of all, he knows what’s happening more than anyone. If there are adjustments to be made, he’s the right man for the job.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Kraft Recalling American Cheese Slices Over Choking Concerns
- Bobbi Kristina To Be Buried Next To Mother
- Ready To Play: How Dontae Johnson Gears Up For The NFL Season
- Man Throws Chain Saws At Deputy During East Texas Chase
- Picky Eating Could Signal Emotional Woes
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures