Heating Problems Chill 3 DISD Schools
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Will the heat be working on Thursday for students in the Dallas Independent School District?
Three different Dallas schools have had problems keeping classrooms warm since the ice storm hit this past weekend.
Students at J.L. Long Middle School will rely on portable heaters to keep them warm Thursday until the main heater is fixed. But that main heater needs a particular part, which must be made before it can be shipped to the school for repairs.
Meanwhile, at the J.W. Ray Learning Center, school district officials said that one classroom lost heat. There was no threat to students at the school, however. They were simply moved into a different, warmer classroom.
But the situation still made some parents upset. “They should be ashamed of themselves even having the kids come to school knowing it wasn’t no heat,” said parent LaRon Payne. “That’s ridiculous.”
And much of Esperanza Hope Medrano Elementary School was without heat on Tuesday morning, when classes finally resumed after the winter storm. In that case, the district said that heat was restored about three and a half hours later. It was best to keep children in the classrooms, officials said, instead of sending them back into the cold and heading home.
“We often feel like we are not going to release these students just to go home to an empty apartment or an empty house,” stated school district spokesperson Jon Dahlander. “We want to make certain that they are taken care of, that they’re fed. And that if we can provide some level of instruction to them, then we’re going to continue on with that.”
- Police, FBI Investigating Armed Robbery At Flower Mound Credit Union
- 2 Hospitalized After Car Drives Into Fort Worth Home
- TxDOT, Law Enforcement Partner For ‘Drink. Drive. Go To Jail.’ Initiative
- Cowboys RB Williams Among Roster Cuts
- Anonymous Donor Increases Reward For Tip On Dallas Murder
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures