DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Chief David Brown with the Dallas Police Deparment is responding to a citizen group’s call for change. The new group, calling themselves Mothers Against Police Brutality, is disappointed that the department is not doing more to prevent police shootings of unarmed citizens.
The group spoke on Thursday and called for Brown to address a series of recent police shootings. They said that they are ready to take these complaints to the Justice Department, as there have simply been too many police shootings of unarmed citizens.
One group member’s son died in a police shooting earlier this year. “It’s getting worse,” stated Collette Flanagan. “And we have a chief that refuses to implement the same policies that he promised in 2012.”
Mothers Against Police Brutality wants the Dallas Police Department to amend their deadly force policy from ‘shoot to kill’ to ‘shoot to disable.’ They also want to roll back Brown’s new policy which allows police officers involved in shootings to wait 72 hours before they make an official report.
Brown responded to the group’s concerns on Thursday night. He said that there is no such ‘shoot to kill’ policy, and that protection of life is a primary goal for the police department. Brown also added that those policy changes he promised in 2012 have all already been implemented, and that he is now looking forward to working with Mothers Against Police Brutality in an effort to improve community relations.
- Recent Deaths Of Kids In Hot Cars Prompts Pleas To Parents
- Texas Attorney General Took Gift While Investigating Company
- Garland Police Seek Suspect In Murder Of Journalist
- Cowboys DE Randy Gregory Checks Into Treatment Facility, Not Reporting To Camp
- One Dead After Shooting At Arlington Apartment Complex
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures