FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Investigators are trying to determine what went wrong at a home in northwest Fort Worth that exploded on Tuesday. Neighbors said that they saw and heard one blast, a fire and then another blast. And in the end, the entire home was destroyed.
The old, wood-frame, one-story farm home was located along Appian Way.
All that remains of the house now is the foundation. It is a devastating loss for the woman who lived there. Thankfully, she was not at home when the building was leveled, nor was the man who rents an apartment located behind the home. But one dog perished during the explosion, said the fire marshal, and another dog and four cats are missing. Neighbors helped gather two dogs found in the area.
Incredibly, no people were injured during the blast. When the homeowner arrived at the scene, she was comforted by others.
“We felt it and heard it,” recalled Marla Willett. She and April Whitworth were together at the time of the explosion, and rushed to the scene right away.
“I was just standing in her shed and heard a boom,” added Whitworth. “She said probably an earthquake.” This particular area has felt numerous earthquakes over the past two months.
The fire marshal believes that a gas leak may have caused the explosion, and is thinking that a propane tank was the source. “We don’t know for sure,” he said, “but to get that type of explosion, you don’t get that from electrical. There’s got to be some kind of build up.”
- Texas Democrats React To Drama As National Convention Begins
- More Than A Dozen Structures Coming Down At The Stockyards
- North Richland Hills Church Involved In Sexual Misconduct Investigation
- Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Children Turns Self In To Police
- Dallas Cowboys Bus Involved In Fatal Crash In Arizona
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures