COLLEYVILLE (CBS 11 NEWS) – A Colleyville family is upset with the way a standoff ended Thursday night, resulting in the death of the suspect — who is a brother and father.

Colleyville police responded to the home on Lexington Parkway, after receiving a call that a man was threatening to kill his mother who lived there. Police from several cities and SWAT teams surrounded the home, and tried to talk the man, who was armed with a handgun, out of the house. Colleyville police aren’t releasing the identity of the man, but family members say he is 46-year-old John Donald Lincoln.

Lincoln’s mother was not home, but family members say his 18-year-old daughter, Erin, lives at the home, and was present at the time of the incident.

Police say they communicated with the man over the phone, but he refused to cooperate. About two and a half hours into the standoff, police say the man leveled the gun at officers, and three members of the North Richland Hills SWAT team opened fire. The officers shot the man several times, and he was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead.

“It’s not the result that we wanted. We want all of these incidents to end in a peaceful manner, so it’s tragic. But every indication is that the final result is because of the actions of the individual,” said Colleyville Police Chief Mike Holder.

David Lincoln (credit: CBS 11 News)

David Lincoln (credit: CBS 11 News)

Lincoln’s sister, Kim Sharif, is angry with the way her brother is being portrayed. Sharif says her brother has a long history of mental illness, but would have never hurt his daughter.

“John was inside with Erin. She was never a hostage. She told the police that she was not afraid. Not fearing for her safety. She was never a hostage,” said Sharif.

The Colleyville Police Chief says whether or not they knew the girl was in jeopardy, is part of their ongoing investigation. The officers who discharged their guns are also in administrative leave, pending the investigation. Standard procedure, according to police.

“I called my mom. I got a hold of her and told her John was twisting off, and that she should stay with friends — she was at the movies — and I would come over and corral him and get it taken care of. When I got here, police had the place surrounded,” Sharif said.

The call to alert police came from Sharif and Lincoln’s other sister, Kelly Lincoln. Kelly Lincoln, an Arlington Police officer, told CBS 11 she feared for her mother’s life. Lincoln says that if she had not alerted local police her mother might have been killed.

“Someone may say, well they’re harmless, but we don’t know for sure. And so a weapon was brandished in the direction of our officers and the officers shot at the individual,” said Investigator Keith Bauman, with the North Richland Hills Police Department.

Kim Sharif says her brother and her niece were very close. She says Erin watched police shoot her father from just a few feet away. A memory that her aunt fears, will be irreparable.

“She’s destroyed. She’s not going to get over this,” said Sharif.