Rush For Flu Vaccine Continues Across North Texas
COLLIN COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – The number of people dying from the flu has gone up again in North Texas. Both Collin and Hunt County reported their first flu-related deaths of the season on Monday.
In all, 34 people in North Texans have died from flu-related complications so far this season – most of them in Dallas County.
A CBS 11 News crew saw the faces of the flu coming and going at a clinic in west Plano.
Medical professionals are saying there’s no shortage of vaccine, but you couldn’t tell that to a number of people who said they had problems getting their children protected.
It took a while but the Zapata family got what they wanted and were leaving a Plano clinic relieved. “We got the flu shots,” mother Veronica Zapata said excitedly. “CVS, Walgreens, I wasn’t wasn’t able to find it.”
A mission to get their seven-year-old daughter vaccinated against the flu took the Zapata’s to a Plano Wal-Mart and four pharmacies – each location turned them away.
The family was finally directed to an after hours clinic that they were told had only two doses left. Father Diego Zapata said, “It was very difficult. It’s not easy. We looked at many places.”
Over the weekend, as many as a 1,000 people waited in line for only 650 doses of the flu vaccine being offered for free to Plano residents. The city has now exhausted its supply and as the death toll rises, more people are wishing they had taken precautions.
The latest flu-related death is a Plano woman in her 50’s who authorities say did not get immunized and had other health problems.
For families like the Zapata’s, a flu shot offers peace of mind despite what may be a struggle to get it.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Rangers’ Rodriguez Keeps Red Sox Bats Quiet In 3-1 Win
- Harden Loses Ball In Final Seconds As Rockets Fall 99-98
- Nadal Could Face Djokovic In French Open Quarterfinals
- MLB Plans For Cuba Exhibition Next Spring
- Kenseth Wins Pole For NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures