With Flu Spreading, Students Learning Valuable Health Lessons
Get Breaking News First
KELLER, Texas (CBS 11 NEWS) – Inside every Keller ISD classroom the flu is becoming a big lesson.
Tuesday afternoon Mrs. Julie Fairfield at Keller-Harvel Elementary in Keller was teaching her kindergarteners about Texas history, cowboys and also the flu.
“I really like how you were using your hand sanitizer,” says Mrs. Fairfield “…and tissues.” as her young students are learning to wash their hands properly and cover their coughs.
“When you cough on your hands then you have to go and wash your hands with soap and water,” says Grace Varghese who is only 6 years old and learning about the flu.
Keller ISD has stepped up cleaning efforts at all campuses during the flu outbreak. Each day cleaning crews take over classrooms wiping tables, chairs and door knobs. The district has even brought in extra staff to help clean.
Also, at every campus, if a student shows any signs of the flu they are being sent home even if it turns out they don’t have it.
“That’s our goal keep them in school keep them healthy,” says Jerry Leafgreen who is the Operations Supervisor at Keller ISD “We do see that our attendance rates are up I think a lot of that can be attributed to the cleaning practices that we do not just during flu season but year round.”
Parents have also noticed the efforts.
“Having the safest possible environment for kids it’s absolutely essential,” says parent John Weatherspoon.
The district says they will continue to reinforce the message and are also working with Tarrant County Public Health flu surveillance program.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Stars Retire Modano’s No. 9 Jersey
- No. 18 SMU Falters In 2nd Half Vs No. 20 Memphis
- TCU Winless In Big 12, Loses 97-67 To No. 23 OU
- Memorial Service Held For Murdered Richardson ISD Teacher, Mother Of Two
- Untapped Festival Features 65 Breweries, Over 200 Drinks
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures