ODESSA (AP) – Some worshippers at a West Texas church have been credited with chasing and catching two suspects after a purse was snatched during the service.
Odessa police say one of the fleeing men allegedly pulled a knife but nobody was hurt after the robbery Sunday at Sherwood Baptist Church.
Ector County jail records show Nicholas Alexander Kempf was being held Wednesday on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Online jail records don’t list an attorney for Kempf, whose bond was $100,000. Timothy Ray Yanaga was charged with misdemeanor theft and released on $500 bond.
Odessa police say the pair apparently were in the last pew when Yanaga allegedly grabbed the purse.
The bag has been returned intact to the woman.
Pastor Ivy Shelton says security will be increased.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Infant’s Death Inspires Family To Give Back During Holidays
- Texas H.S. Coaches ‘Starting the Conversation’ About Sexual Assault
- Appeals Court Halts Execution For Dad Who Killed Daughters
- Man Charged With Murder After Stabbing At Job Placement Center
- Mumps Immunizations Required For Returning Cleburne Students
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures