Google Invests $75M More In Texas Wind Farms
AMARILLO (AP) – Google Inc. will invest another $75 million in Texas wind farms as the tech giant expands its renewable energy efforts, company officials said.
California-based Google on Tuesday said an agreement has been finalized for the Panhandle 2 wind turbine site in Carson County, near Amarillo.
A Google statement said the facility, developed by Pattern Energy Group LP, should have the capacity to generate enough renewable energy to power 56,000 U.S. homes. Company officials expect the facility to be operating by late 2014.
Panhandle 2 is Google’s 15th renewable energy investment overall and the company’s second in Texas. Google a year ago announced a $200 million investment in another Texas Panhandle wind farm – the Spinning Spur Wind Project in Oldham County, about 35 miles from Amarillo.
The company also said this week that it’s buying energy from the Happy Hereford wind farm, also in the Panhandle.
Google has been pouring money into alternative energy since 2010 because it believes the investments will prove profitable as the demand for cleaner sources of power rises amid increasing concerns about the pollution caused by oil and coal.
The company, with headquarters in Mountain View, Calif., is consuming additional power as it builds more data centers to run its Internet search engine and other online services used by more than 1 billion people worldwide.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Mavs Sign First Round Draft Pick Justin Anderson
- Trains Silencing Horns Through Downtown Mesquite
- Once MLB Trade Deadline Dust Settles, Your Fantasy Roster May Need Some Tweaks
- Cowboys Romo To Practice Despite Stye
- Cowboys Hardy Joins Fans’ Effort To Banner-Taunt Eagles
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures