Daughter Of Slain Arlington Woman Wants Answers
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) - Seven months after Leona Swafford’s murder, her daughter Jeanne Keenan still remembers exactly what the 83-year-old’s screams sounded like the day she died.
“Because it was really devastating,” she said. “I came tearing across the street.”
Keenan was her mother’s constant companion. They lived together, shopped together and watched game shows together.
“So, every day is hard. When you fix someone’s hair every day and make sure they have on earrings and lipstick every day, you miss that,” said Keenan.
Swafford was accosted in her driveway at 8:30 in the morning on June 4, 2013. Swafford had just pulled into the driveway, after a quick trip to a nearby doughnut store when Keenan found the car across the street, crashed against a neighbor’s parked car, with a stranger at the wheel and her mother in the passenger seat.
“Her face was really bloody and she had this horrified look on her face,” she said.
Keenan opened the car door and tried to wrestle the man out.
“By his shoulder and shirt and I was pulling on him again and that’s when he pulled the gun,” she said. “He said, ‘I will shoot you. I will shoot you.”
She let go and ran to grab her mother, but the car sped away.
“I was so disappointed in myself because I couldn’t get her out. I felt like I had failed,” she said. “I just literally collapsed crying in the street.”
An hour and a half later, Arlington police found Swafford’s body in a nearby field with a gunshot to the head. Despite a sketch of the killer, investigators have yet to identify him.
“I would really just really, really, really would like the relief of knowing this person is out of the mainstream — or away from hurting somebody else,” said Keenan.
She’s still haunted by questions about her mother’s death, and she’s convinced someone has the answers.
“Someone knows. Someone knows. And they need to come forward,” she said.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- First Wave Of Lawsuits Filed In Deadly SXSW Crash
- Report: Mavs Acquire Rajon Rondo From Celtics
- Sketch Released Of Suspect In Waco TV Weatherman Shooting
- FCC: ‘Redskins’ Not Profane; Radio Station Keeps License
- WVU QB Clint Trickett Cleared For Liberty Bowl Practice
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures