FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – There’s new information involving an investigation at the troubled school co-founded by former Dallas Cowboy Deion Sanders.
The Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office is investigating whether laptop computers were stolen from Prime Prep Academy.
Initial reports were that some 100 laptop computers were missing from the Fort Worth charter school. Sources tell CBS 11 News the actual number of stolen laptops is more than 300 and closer to 400.
The theft investigation is the latest problem for the troubled school.
During a Tuesday night board meeting administrators, most of whom have been recently appointed, worked to reorganize school function. One thing on the agenda for Interim Superintendent Ron Price was discussing removing former employees from having access to school bank accounts.
“We hope and pray that we won’t find anything else because we want to focus on educating the children,” Price said.
Prime Prep gets more than $600,000 in tax money for 300 students, but recent audits have revealed waste and possible fraud.
Sources told CBS 11 the new management team fired an employee last week. The person was on the payroll but living in Arkansas, with no known job.
Parents attending the board meeting said they’re frustrated with the new superintendent’s promises to clean up the school. “It’s an absolute travesty in terms of taking funds, that should not have been used, to make purchases,” mother Katrina Henderson said.
While Deion Sanders co-founded Prime Prep, he left his role as football coach late last year. Now there’s word he’s expected to come back in some type of role at the Academy.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Judge Reinhold Arrested At Dallas Love Field
- Rangers 3B Coach Tony Beasley Declared Free Of Cancer
- Foundation Helping Teen Depression Honors Grace And Brian Loncar
- Briles Sues Baylor Officials For Libel And Conspiracy
- Viral Video: Man Hops Security Fence At San Francisco Airport
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures