ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – Arlington’s municipal airport stays busy. There are 22 businesses there and corporate and cargo traffic is on the rise according to airport management. It is growth people living in the shadow of the airport have noticed.
“Right now we get a lot of small planes,” said Obed Uribio who lives in a house just south of the airport. “Especially on game day when the Cowboys play, we get quite a bit of small private jets.”
Arlington has begun a study looking at how to develop the airport even further in the next ten years. The study will look at upgrading aging hangers and at resurfacing runways and taxiways. And with the recent addition of a new taxiway, there’s a lot of room to land new businesses.
“We recently completed a west parallel taxiway,” said Airport Manager Karen VanWinkle. “And that provides about a hundred additional acres for development. So it will look at that.”
But some homeowners worry if business takes off at the airport, the noise level will climb too.
“I feel like if we start getting a lot of big planes its not going to be good,” Uribio said. “We’ll probably get a lot of noise pollution in our neighborhood and that’s not good.”
VanWinkle said The Federal Aviation Administration controls what types of planes land at the airport, how loud they’re allowed to be and at what times of day or night they’re allowed to take off and land. But Arlington planners say no airport projects will get off the ground without a thorough study of how the area will be affected and public input will be encouraged once a draft of the plan is made public.
“Any type of project proposed has an environmental concept to it as well,” VanWinkle said. “So, we look at all of those types of issues.”
The city hopes to have the development study in front of the city council by October or November.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Hamels Dominates; Gomez Homers In Rangers Win Over Indians
- Romo Leaves Game After Hit To Back
- District Of Innovation = Flexibility For Schools & Opportunity For Students
- Grace In Action: Community Refuses To Give Up On Blind, Homeless Vet
- Do People’s Loud, Annoying Habits Drive You Nuts?
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures