Discovery Of Noose Draws Concern From Fort Worth Police Association
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The discovery of a noose at the Fort Worth Police Department was shocking, and insensitive, but not an indicator of a larger problem with the department. That’s according to the president of the local chapter of the Black Law Enforcement Officers Association.
The discovery of the noose prompted an internal affairs investigation. Police Chief Jeff Halstead told CBS11 Monday that he will not tolerate racism within the department.
“Hopefully the outcome is that he will send some type of message that will be very strong and swift letting officers know this type of racial insensitivity will not be tolerated in the police department,” said association president Dewayne Dalco Thursday.
The discovery concerned officers however, Dalco said, because it’s not the first incident involving a noose. A legal motion in a case involving former officer Herman Young last year, described an incident involving a snowman.
The motion says the officers built a snowman, dressed it in a police uniform, then put a banana in its hand and a noose around its neck. Moore, who is African American, was using the incident as an example of “controversies” with the administration. The case against him and 8 other officers were dropped this month.
Dalco said he believed there was punishment in that case. A spokesman for FWPD did not reply to questions about the case.
Dalco does not see a direct connection between the incidents, and believes the latest one was likely a joke between employees, but he doesn’t want to see it repeated.
“We’re public servants,” Dalco said. “We should be a little more sensitive to the people.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Texas Tech Upsets No. 9 Iowa State 78-73
- Jones Helps Texas A&M Outlast Tennessee 67-61
- Abbott Donors Have Strong Week; Inaugural Turnout Lags
- Bomb Threat Against 2 Planes At Atlanta’s Main airport
- Plano Police Arrest Suspect With Possible Link To Burglaries
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures