JOSHUA (CBSDFW.COM) – A North Texas teenager is recovering in the hospital after falling 3500 feet in a skydiving accident.
Makenzie Wethington of Joshua traveled to Oklahoma on Saturday for her first try at skydiving to celebrate her 16th birthday. She was seriously injured when her parachute did not open.
The teen is in ICU with a broken back, pelvis, bleeding in her brain, and other serious injuries, but she is expected to recover.
Makenzie’s friends at Joshua High School, where she is a sophomore, are supporting her recovery.
“I think it’s an absolute miracle from her accident. I mean God obviously held out his hand and caught her,” said Danielle.
More than 300 T-shirts that say, “How strong are you? Makenzie strong,” have already been sold. The students are raising money for the family. The t-shirts cost $10 and half of that goes to Makenzie.
“The whole community is coming together in such a great way and supporting her with all of our hearts and we just want her to keep fighting because we believe in her. She’s Makenzie strong,” said Mia.
Makenzie’s friends have also established a Facebook page for her and they’re getting interest and contributions from as far away as Louisiana.
If you would like to contribute, visit www.youcaring.com. Go to “How strong are you? Makenzie strong.”
You can also donate at any Wells Fargo location to account#6210599301 and visit facebook for updates on Makenzie’s condition.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Nets Grab Texas Big Man Allen With 22nd Draft Pick
- TCU’s Wymer Stymies Louisville In 4-3 CWS Win
- Ice Cube Has Big Expectations For His 3-On-3 League
- FDA Approves More Convenient Blood Cancer Drug
- Johnny Depp Talks About Presidential Assassination
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures