Argyle ISD Expected To OK Guns On Campus
Get Breaking News First
ARGYLE (CBSDFW.COM) - The Argyle Independent School District is getting closer to allowing some staff members to carry guns on campus. District officials voted unanimously last week to pass the policy, also known as the School Marshal Program. The proposal now has to go through just one more vote.
With this new policy, certain teachers and staff members will be allowed to carry concealed guns at one of the district’s four schools, at the district’s events, and at district board meetings.
Signs will be posted at the Argyle campuses to let visitors know about the new policy.
But it will not be simple when it comes to who can carry a gun. The school board will only permit certain people to be armed, and only after they meet a list of guidelines. Armed staff members must have a current conceal-carry license, complete a psych evaluation, and then go through continuous training.
District officials said that the armed staff members will be selected from a pool of eligible volunteers. The names of those workers who are able to carry guns will never be made public.
The final vote is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday evening. It is actually a re-vote from last week, when the policy was approved. The phrasing in one letter on the policy needs to be changed so that it is accurate, which is why the voting must take place again.
This plan was first proposed after the December 2012 school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.
- Suspects In Fatal Hit & Run Captured In Florida
- Judge Says American Can’t End Retiree Benefits Yet
- “Pinwheels For Prevention” A Playful Reminder Of Sinister Reality
- Soldier Mom Returns, Surprises Young Son At School
- Study: Marijuana Regulation More Popular Than Texas Football?
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures