DALLAS (AP) – Patrik Elias scored a power-play goal 40 seconds into overtime to give the New Jersey Devils a 3-2 victory over the Dallas Stars on Thursday night.
The Stars had tied the score on Tyler Seguin’s goal with 52 seconds remaining in regulation.
Dainius Zubrus scored in the first period and Travis Zajac added a goal in the second to give New Jersey a 2-0 lead.
Jamie Benn scored on a backhand at 10:52 of the second to cut the deficit to 2-1.
The Devils, allowing the fewest shots per game of any NHL team, held Dallas to a season-low 16 shots. Cory Schneider made 15 saves for his second victory over the Stars this season.
Elias and Zajac each had an assist and Jaromir Jagr assisted on two goals for New Jersey.
Seguin added an assist for Dallas. Kari Lehtonen made 21 saves. He has allowed only six goals in losing three of his last four games against New Jersey
The Devils dominated early. Dallas didn’t put a shot on goal until a 5-on-3 advantage more than five minutes in. Even during that 75-second stretch, the Stars had only one shot.
New Jersey scored first, at 10:59 of the first period. Zubrus sent a slap shot from the right faceoff circle over Lehtonen’s glove and into the right corner.
Dallas had its best scoring chance a minute and a half before the end of the first period. Cody Eakin took a pass in the slot but shot the puck into Schneider’s body.
For the period, New Jersey outshot the Stars 7-4. The four shots tied Dallas’ season low for a period.
Lehtonen prevented another Devils goal three minutes into the second period when he made a glove save on Zajac while prone on the ice.
Zajac did score on a power play at 9:50 of the second, when he tipped Damien Brunner’s drive past Lehtonen.
Barely a minute later, Dallas broke through for its first goal against Schneider in more than 90 minutes this season. Benn took a pass from Seguin with his back to the goal and backhanded the puck into the net.
New Jersey again had an advantage in shots, 7-6, with the Devils’ final two shots short-handed
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Elementary School Not Finished For 1st Day, Parents Upset
- Meet The North Texas Teacher Who Cancelled Homework
- Trump Ends Texas Trip With Rally In Austin Tonight
- Man Admits Using KiK App For Child Porn; Gets 60 Month Sentence
- Machete-Wielding Robbery Suspect Wanted In Several North Texas Cities
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures