THE COLONY (CBSDFW.COM) – It’s a lesson in compassion at The Colony High School in the Lewisville Independent School District. As a class assignment, students are brainstorming ways to raise money for senior Brian Bravo.
“It shows we want to be together as a school,” explained freshman Jaime Luna. “We want to work together and show that he really means something to us, to show that he is part of us.”
Brian was 13 years old when a car crash left him paralyzed, and killed his mother, sister, and uncle. Bravo’s father, Jose, has cared for him and his brother ever since. Jose works overnight, so he can’t always be there for his boys and take Brian to doctor appointments. “Now, it’s just half the family, because half of them passed away,” said Jose. “It’s very difficult when you lose half of your family.”
Now 21 years old, Brian loves high school — and the students love him. Especially the basketball team. “They love him and treat him as part of the team when he comes down,” said head boys basketball coach Cleve Ryan.
For Christmas, players redecorated little brother Niki’s bedroom. Now, they’re determined to meet a greater need — a wheelchair accessible van — before Brian graduates. “He’s growing and all that. He’s getting heavy,” said Jose. “I hope they can help me with the van, so I can move him around, because he loves to get out of the house.”
It will take $15,000 to $50,000 to buy that van. To donate to Bravo4Brian, contact Cleve Ryan at 469-948-2586 or email@example.com, or Kristen Crenshaw at firstname.lastname@example.org. Calvary Christian Center has also set up an account for Brian Bravo for online donations at www.iamccc.com. Click “give online” and add the memo “Bravo4Brian.” Or send a check or money order to: Calvary Christian Center, Attn: Bravo4Brian, 5220 Blair Oaks Drive, The Colony, Texas, 75056.
- Powerful Winds Cause Damage To Hangar At Grand Prairie Airport
- Fans Stuck At AT&T Stadium Due To Tornado Threat Following Cowboys Loss To Packers
- Cowboys Fall To Packers On Crosby’s Game-Winning Field Goal
- WATCH: Dak Prescott Hits Dez Bryant For TD, Ties Game Up With Sneak On 2-Pt Conversion
- Cowboys TE Jason Witten Scores First Career Playoff Touchdown
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures