Streets Services Department Activates “Ice Force” Status
Get Breaking News First
NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Officials with the City of Dallas Street Services Department spent all of Thursday aggressively treating iced roads. They shifted between “Ice Force 1” mode earlier in the day to “Ice Force 2” and then back to “Ice Force 1” by late evening.
The “Ice Force” modes are used as preparedness levels that dictate the amount of sanding trucks and man power needed to clear roads of ice and snow so that drivers can safely navigate through major arteries through Dallas.
An “Ice Force 1” deploys about 40 sand trucks and 100 people. “Ice Force 2” is an elevated status deploying 70 sand trucks and closer to 145 people.”
Dennis Ware, the Interim Director for Dallas Street Services described their response to the icy conditions as an all hands on deck effort.
Ware said, “We’re out in force. Continuing to run the routes and address those hazards as they come.”
The hazards he was talking about on Thursday include snow build up and puddled water that froze throughout the day.
He added, “We’ve encountered some icy spots where the layers of snow have compacted and became ice, and have slick spots in various road ways.”
Ware told CBS 11 their response has been aggressive because of lessons they learned during December’s winter ice storm dubbed “Ice-Mageddon,” saying the number one thing his department learned was “Always to be ready. To be prepared.”
The “Ice Force” crews will be deployed into Friday working 12 hour shifts.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- American Airlines Sued Over Tax Incentives
- Driver Crashes Into Vacant Dallas Home
- Tuition Going Up For Texas Tech Students
- Cold Snap Knocked State Generators Offline
- Benn Puts Stars Past Blues 3-2 In OT
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures